[CAUT] [pianotech] Baldwin Accujust

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Apr 27 20:59:28 PDT 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:

>     I so rarely see positive bearing and crown in more than sporadic and
> tiny increments out here in the desert, I guess I've stopped expecting
> it. In any case, it seems like I should have the mindset of finesse and
> easy does it for the Baldwin accujust job.

Without what it takes in crown and bearing to make the things
function, I'd think finesse would easily segue into fantasy
undetected. When faced with the impossible, you do what you
can and temper expectations accordingly.

>My notion is I don't really
> care about reproducing what is there now (40 years later or so), but I
> do want to load the board somewhat, and probably no more than it was
> designed to be at first. Crown is next to nil at this point, which is
> under conditions of 8% RH last reading, and below 20% for the last 6
> months.

All of which is outside design parameters. So in the absence
of design criteria, what become the priorities?

>     While I'm posting, thanks to you, Ron, and to March PTJ for the
> Wixey gauge ideas. I guess that would be a reason I should have
> subscribed to pianotech: would have got that hint much sooner (I assume
> that was the source for PTJ).

The caut list folks that won't follow pianotech are at least
three years behind technically on some of the subjects just
now surfacing on caut. The Baldwin Accujust information is a
very minor example, but you've missed tons of other good
information.

>Seems like a great tool, much better than
> any I have devised (and now I won't bother getting a Lowell - this seems
> much more "user friendly"). The 0.1 degree resolution seems like about
> the lowest useful reading for our purposes.

Yes, it's a super tool. I've been wanting something like this
for a long time.
Ron N