[CAUT] [pianotech] Baldwin Accujust

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Apr 27 18:03:54 PDT 2009

On Apr 26, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Yes. The bearing will, should anyone actually follow the procedure,
> be below 1/3° from bass through mid tenor, and around 0.8° in the
> high treble. Theoretically, at least. If you actually find
> measurable bearing and crown in octave 5-6, you should have bought a
> lottery ticket instead.

	I so rarely see positive bearing and crown in more than sporadic and
tiny increments out here in the desert, I guess I've stopped expecting
it. In any case, it seems like I should have the mindset of finesse
and easy does it for the Baldwin accujust job. My notion is I don't
really care about reproducing what is there now (40 years later or
so), but I do want to load the board somewhat, and probably no more
than it was designed to be at first. Crown is next to nil at this
point, which is under conditions of 8% RH last reading, and below 20%
for the last 6 months. And I expect to get to the job before the
monsoons raise RH to 60%, so a wee mite of DB in the general
prescribed proportions seems appropriate, probably on the shy side -
expecting higher RH to produce higher DB. (BTW, the piano is "quite
loud" at the moment - partly it needs voicing, but it puts out plenty
of volume).
	While I'm posting, thanks to you, Ron, and to March PTJ for the Wixey
gauge ideas. I guess that would be a reason I should have subscribed
to pianotech: would have got that hint much sooner (I assume that was
the source for PTJ). Seems like a great tool, much better than any I
have devised (and now I won't bother getting a Lowell - this seems
much more "user friendly"). The 0.1 degree resolution seems like about
the lowest useful reading for our purposes.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu