[CAUT] [pianotech] Baldwin Accujust

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 26 09:30:38 PDT 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:
>     Looking this over and giving it some thought, I surmise that Baldwin
> (Conklin) was thinking in terms of 1/3, 2/3, 1 degree as bearing for the
> different areas, and the bubble gauge came close to that in execution.

That would be the case with the Lowell gage, but not
Baldwin's. The Lowell gage is graduated in 10' increments, or
1/6°. Harold, I'm told, designed the Baldwin gage for ease of
calculating bearing load.

> This is not something I deal with a lot, since I don't get into much
> bridge-capping and soundboard level rebuilding, but these angles seem
> quite light, very little load. Am I right?

Very light.

>Having set up a piano the way
> the Baldwin tech sheet describes, I assume the angles drop under load.
> What kind of "final results" (as in measurements afterwards) would one
> typically find? Seems like it would be barely positive if not flat,
> except in the mid to high treble, yes?
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

Yes. The bearing will, should anyone actually follow the
procedure, be below 1/3° from bass through mid tenor, and
around 0.8° in the high treble. Theoretically, at least. If
you actually find measurable bearing and crown in octave 5-6,
you should have bought a lottery ticket instead.

These boards typically won't structurally carry a high bearing
load.
Ron N