[CAUT] [pianotech] Baldwin Accujust

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Apr 26 08:55:49 PDT 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 3:10 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Bearing1.txt is from a Baldwin tech sheet, direct from the source.
> Bearing4.txt is a conversion chart to relate the instructions in
> bearing1 to degrees, so you can use a Lowell gage, Wixey, or
> whatever, instead of Baldwin's gage.
>
> Ron N

	Looking this over and giving it some thought, I surmise that Baldwin
(Conklin) was thinking in terms of 1/3, 2/3, 1 degree as bearing for
the different areas, and the bubble gauge came close to that in
execution. This is not something I deal with a lot, since I don't get
into much bridge-capping and soundboard level rebuilding, but these
angles seem quite light, very little load. Am I right? Having set up a
piano the way the Baldwin tech sheet describes, I assume the angles
drop under load. What kind of "final results" (as in measurements
afterwards) would one typically find? Seems like it would be barely
positive if not flat, except in the mid to high treble, yes?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu