[CAUT] Boston Question

Avery Todd ptuner1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 07:30:32 PDT 2009

List,

I just had a call about a Boston GP193 (7' ish) that's app. 10 yrs. old with
a persistent tuning problem in the upper 2-3 octaves. The unisons won't stay
in tune. The owner has checked with several technicians & one even told him
that the problem was inherent in that age of that piano & that there's no
fix for the problem that he'd heard about. Newer versions no longer have the
problem, he said.

I've never run across that particular one and have never heard of this (I've
tuned very few Bostons). Has anyone else? Does anyone know of a "fix" for
this problem, short of a redesign/rebuild? The piano is in a fairly large
church and they now are planning on getting rid of it because of this
problem. They don't really want to because they love the touch but they use
it in a recording studio and it's "driving them crazy"!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Avery Todd, RPT
Houston, TX