[CAUT] capstan hole plugging

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue Apr 21 05:38:49 PDT 2009

I'm with you here, Jon. I just hate the toxic aspects of the epoxy, especially by the time you've had to mix it, apply it and sand it. It's such a mess. Wood plugs look better to my eyes also and I already have the technology and materials at hand to make and install them. They're cheaper too. I have different types of scrap wood lying around that even make it possible to match colors fairly well...

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Director of Piano Services
College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Jon Page
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:21 AM
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] capstan hole plugging

I used to be an advocate for plugs cut from old keys
but now prefer new wood.  The old plugs do not always
lend themselves to clean trimming with a chisel.

I prefer the look of wood over epoxy and the non-toxic
aspect as well. With wood there is no cure time. By the time
you finish the set, you can trim from the beginning and
then drill and install the capstans. I use PVC-E so that
there is not a hard glue line.

The whole job of removing the old capstans, drilling, plugging,
trimming, drilling and reinstallation takes 6 hours.

I would use the new WNG capstans for their low friction.

I also prefer the look of wood for filling key lead holes.
--

Regards,

Jon Page