[CAUT] install bridge pins?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Apr 20 14:32:17 PDT 2009

Mark Cramer wrote:
> A few years ago I ran out of good reasons /not/ to pin a new bridge-cap
> with the same epoxy method (Mr. Bill’s) we’ve been using to re-pin
> original caps with for over a decade.
>
> More recently, I’ve tried to add some of the /heresy/ gleaned from this
> list (you know who you are ;>) into my procedure, as follows:
>
> 1.) Drilling the holes to extra depth.
>
> 2.) Installing rounded-pins to final height, rather than the traditional
> filing method.

Gee, this is starting to sound strangely familiar.

> 3.) Coating the surface with McLube rather than Dag (graphite).

There's one! You don't need to coat the bridge top with *any*
sort of lubricant. The pins are the big friction points to the
degree that friction across the top surface is functionally
inconsequential.

> Any other suggestions…?

Don't cut yourself on the chisel! You won't be losing knuckles
on the filed pins, and can save the blood for stringing.

> (No we don’t have a handy source of Titanium bridge pins or a hydraulic
> pin-press)

Anyone know off hand, the friction coefficient between music
wire and titanium, or stainless steel?
Ron N