[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Apr 18 06:51:59 PDT 2009

Hi David.

I agree the discussion in general is not anti Steinway. My comment was
directed solely at one particular post. I am unsure of what  <<shots>>
you say I've taken are. In any case it is not my intention to shoot at
folks for their religious beliefs as such. I think most of us however
find certain aspects of human behavior .... frustrating. Perhaps more
then we should at times. And I am most certainly as guilty as any on
that account... for which I can only bow my head and apologize for. Its
always counter productive when we let that frustration get the best of
us.  Still we are human after all.

Which really  is central to my point about Steinway.  So much of their
role is dictated by the realities of the world and market they are in.
All that taken into consideration, I find that very much of the
criticism directed at them doesn't really hold up.  I cant speak to the
execution claims made by some US techs about NY S&S.  But we don't
anything I could see as fitting these descriptions from Hamburg.  I
think also... that if you look at the <<industry leading high road>>
claims you say S&S makes.... well they are not really all that different
from the claims most of the factories make.

Step back a second and take a look at the claims of excellence say....
Pearl River advertises and tries to impress upon the world around them.
This is marketing necessities.  I cant blame S&S for playing the game
according to the rules imposed on them.  But all that leads off in a
tangent direction does it not ?

Cheers
RicB

    Ric:

    I don't see this kind of discussion as being anti Steinway.  I'm
    certainly not anti Steinway.  I wish them the best and I just wish
    they were what they claim to be.

    You've taken some pretty good shots at people who claim to be
    religious yet lead less-than-pure lives.  Like you, I find that much
    more irritating than people who live less-than-pure lives but make
    no moral claims.

    Steinway claims the industry leading high road but produces
    something less.  I personally just wish that their claims were
    true.  They might have to raise their already-high prices to
    actually produce what they claim they are.  Ok.  Whatever it takes.
    Whatever you think of their design, their execution is not up to
    their competitors execution.

    dave

    David M. Porritt, RPT
    dporritt at smu.edu