[CAUT] Weikert felt; was 80 year old S&S hammers

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Apr 15 12:49:48 PDT 2009

Fred,

See Alan McCoy's post of a couple of yesterday.

A Model D is no different than any other piano. If the soundboard works--and the
stringing scale is well matched to it--massive granite-like hammers are both
unnecessary and undesirable. The piano will have good power, great dynamics and
voicing will last. As will the hammers themselves.

Hammers can be a bit lighter, action ratios can be a bit higher, action response
can be quicker and more articulate. Life can be good.

Steinway, along with many other pianomakers, knew this "secret" some decades
back. Most seem to have lost it in these "modern" times in their rush to emulate
the hard and brassy sound that has now become so prevalent.

ddf
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant
620 South Tower Avenue