[CAUT] Weikert felt; was 80 year old S&S hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Apr 15 17:24:26 PDT 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> Steinway, along with many other pianomakers, knew this "secret" some
> decades
> back. Most seem to have lost it in these "modern" times in their
> rush to emulate
> the hard and brassy sound that has now become so prevalent.

	I have a more charitable view of where Steinway is today. I find
their current production reasonably facile to play, it has good
clarity and projection, and if well prepped, one can be quite
expressive on it. My take is that Steinway has concentrated on the
large concert hall, and on concerto performance, where the piano has
to fill the 2000 seat hall and project through and over the orchestra.
That has been their strategy, and they have been successful at it,
whatever quarrels we may have with some details.
	And of course other makers have tried to compete in this same venue,
hence the convergence on similar design and execution principles.
	The sad fact is that most pianos are in different venues, and most
pianos are far too loud and powerful for a living room (or most of the
other locations they live in, like practice rooms). If you "voice
down" you end up (often) too muddy. I think there is a lot to learn
from the 19th century, which was, after all, the century of the piano
composer - most of the standard rep comes from that period. Brahms
played a Graf he got from Clara Schumann for much of his life, which
can give a sense of proportion. What I am thinking of is the whole
picture: amount of energy in versus sound out; ease of making various
voices in various registers stand out from one another; degree of
difference in timbre versus finger technique (how much "effort" to
make a difference). I think there is a whole world of sound and
expressiveness out there that earlier pianos had and modern ones
don't. This doesn't mean modern ones are bad, it just means that they
are limited to a particular spectrum of sound and performance, and the
loss is a real shame.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico