[CAUT] Weikert felt; was 80 year old S&S hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Apr 14 17:33:47 PDT 2009

I have installed Ronsen Bacon felt hammers on a Fandrich light weight design
and needed nothing but some fine filing.  Years later now those hammer are
still great on that board and without the ever hardening lacquer syndrome.
The Steinway lacquered hammers that I've tried on those boards simply, for
whatever reason, don't work well and even the Wurzens needed more needling
than I preferred.  I've since pushed up the rib scaling just slightly and
lowered the EMC just a bit to give a bit more hammer tolerance.
Nevertheless, the low tension, lightweight designs with Bacon hammers are a
good match.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com