[CAUT] Weikert felt; was 80 year old S&S hammers

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Tue Apr 14 16:23:12 PDT 2009

Hi Jim,

I just installed a Del Fandrich designed, Terry Farrell made and ribbed
board. This is a very flexible board with a lighter than Ron Nosman rib
scale and it's a tapered board (9mm max in places to 6mm min in places). I
won't be rebuilding the action until next summer. So I had a chance to hear
it with the old hammers. Those hammers on the S&S board were voiced fairly
mellow - not too dark, not too bright. But it was not an inspiring sound. On
Del's board they are so bright and pingy and I cannot kill them. I've tried!
:-) This is a very lively board. We've had several guest recitals and they
have been drawn to this board even given its current too-bright sound. I
think it is the liveliness and vitality that attracts over the other D,
which is still an amazingly nice 100 year old.

I will be using Ronsen Bacons on it. Reports to follow in a few months. The
last set of Ronsen Bacon hammers I installed (last summer) were very good -
consistent thickness and hardness (or softness, your choice) and weight.
They were firmer than the same hammer from several years back, but still
needing hardener. But on Del's design? I can well imagine not needing
lacquer.

Alan