[CAUT] Weikert felt; was 80 year old S&S hammers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 14 05:35:53 PDT 2009

Jim Busby wrote:
> Ron, Alan,
>
> I haven't seen a lot written on this. Does this mean that,
> let's say, a "hot pressed" hammer vs. the so called cold
> pressed would go better on a CC board vs RC&S? Or that one
> of your boards will sound best with a certain hammer, but
> the same hammer wouldn't on another board? When I replace
> hammers I know some sound better on certain pianos by trial
> and error, but what is the science here, for us
> non-scientific types? Or at least some guidelines?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim Busby

In general, RC&S boards take a softer more resilient hammer
than a high panel compression board. The first one I built, I
used Abel lights, which in anything I'd done up to that point
would have been manageable. On that board, they were absolute
rocks, and sounded downright nasty. The next few I built, I
used Bacon felt Ronsons, and was needling them down through
the center and low treble. These days, I've learned that I can
make the boards more hard hammer tolerant with a heavier rib
scale without giving up what I like about the tone quality of
the things. This makes the process a bit less alien to techs I
do belly work for, and gives them some choice in hammer
hardness range. I'm typically using Ray's Wurzen's, or Wurzen
lights, and needling to suit. So the hammer that everyone
*knows* will be just ideal, or will need hardener at both ends
of the scale with every other piano they've ever worked on
will be too hard altogether for one of my boards. The
universal argument that you put on whatever hammer the
customer wants doesn't really apply when neither the tech, nor
the customer has heard what's possible with these boards.

  The science of it? I have some ideas, but nothing proofworthy.
Ron N