[CAUT] Another Baldwin Question/backchecks

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Apr 14 14:16:48 PDT 2009

A too shallow angle will mean that the tail can be pushed through, (if
you use finger pressure downward on the hammer, on the bench with the
hammer in check) rather than getting tighter. And that means
inconsistency in actual performance. So experiment with changing the
angle. I like to hold the wire with a slotted tool and bend the head
with my hand (that is, pressing on the head, make a bend in the wire
close to the head). Then you readjust check distance and try again.
When you get something that works well, you can work with a
straightedge and make all of them the same (checking from time to time
to see that it is working, rather than adjust all of them and then say
Whoops! should have been a little different <G>) A straightedge is
easier than gauging angles individually.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu