[CAUT] loss of a day's work

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Fri Apr 10 06:11:25 PDT 2009

     Mannino and Ilvedson,

"She very likely just found someone cheaper"

   The problem with this answer is the presumption that Ilvedson isn't undeservedly getting paid diddley squat in the first place. What I can assume from this account, that medical and other benefits, tenure, sabbatical, spring and summer break, a tuition remission program that actually provides compensation for education in the specialty the institution hired me to perform in the first place, piano technology, is not even part of the question, assuming that "a music school in Mountain View, California," is a conservatory. Then there are some at institutions with pianos that need to be subjected to massive rebuilding projects in the midst of a relentless performance schedule, dare I suggest, replaced-you can always put that off until when we leave for the summer and you stay here hubris-some of which do not even provide the technician with a shop in the first place. Then the conservatory might throw the "Conflict of Interest" clause at you to justify their parasitic salary, as if the wages given do not require you to be two people at once, work two jobs, and deprive you of a life.

   Many in the guild try to make good tech's good businessmen. My Uncle made way more than most piano tech's I meet selling 7up. He barely finished High School. Granddad called it the great escape. "You just need to know how to tell people what to do," he tells me. Though not mutually exclusive, not all good tech's are good businessmen, and when employed at an institution of higher learning, more should be considered than just money.

-          Ben