[CAUT] loss of a day's work

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 07:09:51 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:26 AM, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>  List,
>
> Excuse my rant...I booked a full day at a music school in Mountain View,
> California.   I've tuned for her several times...8 pianos.   We booked this
> for last Tuesday, she said she was having a meeting with her teachers but
> would meet in adjoining room so we could work.   I had 6 hours for do 8
> pianos so I brought a fellow tuner that is working for me.   We arrived at 9
> am and she said she was surprised to see me, since I hadn't confirmed the
> appointment...it was a set appointment as far as I was concerned.   We
> confirmed it a week before.   She said she had made other arrangements?   I
> was flabbergasted that instead of calling me again if she had a question on
> the appointment, she instead call another tuner...I sent her a bill for the
> travel time and the wasted day.   If anyone on this list happens to be the
> other tuner, I'd be interested in what she said to him/her.   No hard
> feelings of course...it's her problem.   Does anyone else think it a little
> strange to call and make an appointment and then make other arrangements
> instead of checking with the original technician first?   I do not remember
> a confirmation request...but I suppose it is possible...but still she was on
> the phone...why call someone else instead of me?
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA 94044

Hi David,

It happens to all of us, I don't chalk it up to anyone being "flaky". In my
case I've always said I'm a right brained person working in a left-brained
world. I don't have a music degree and I don't play piano, my understanding
of many of the musicians I've come into contact with is. When do want me
there, how do you want it tuned, how much time will I have.
The whys and the howcums I gave up trying to understand 25 years ago,
musicians like Kimball march to the beat of a different drummer.

I just keep a smile on my face when I show up on time and they are in the
middle of a rehearsal and can I just wait a few minutes which turns into a
1/2 hour.

I learned a long time ago that you NEVER win an argument with a customer
about money. You may get paid for your travel time and wasted day but is it
worth losing the music school, permanently, as a customer?

Which begs the question have you, in the long run, won?

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404