[CAUT] Inventory

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Apr 6 13:32:20 PDT 2009

Hi David,

Never thought about keyboards for some "upright" practice
rooms......something to consider.  They would be much easier to "carry
away", however.  Our practice rooms are never locked...only the building
at nights and during football games with only one monitor on weekends to
keep an eye on things.  maybe that's a bit too small-towned of an
attitude.  Our uprights by my observations don't really get played very
much, but some sort of keyboard is absolutely necessary.

How many B's do you have?  We only have 3 in classrooms...2 being in the
big orchestra room and chior room. The rest have either Baldwin R's or
Steinway M's which work just fine.

I suppose selling a bunch of uprights would easily trade out for nice
weighted Yamaha keyboards of some kind.  They will break, though.  How is
your electronic knowledge?  They will also become obsolete rather quickly,
so re-sale won't be a good economic option in the future.  Will any music
store consider a 2 year lease kind of thing with replacements on some sort
of ongoing contract?

We have a few keyboards here, but really only two ever get used in any
sort of concert situation. Very handy for us several times like when the
theatre folks need something in a crunch..  The keyboard skills and
composition classrooms have lots of nice ones, but they're not movable and
are locked when class is not in session.

Just some food for thought.  if you're going to sell any B's, please let
me know.  Maybe we can work something out, although this fiscal year is
shot.

Best,
Paul

"Porritt, David" <dporritt at mail.smu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
04/06/2009 03:07 PM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

"'caut at ptg.org'" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] Inventory

Colleagues:

I am going to evaluate our inventory and compare what we have with what I
think we should have.  We don’t have any budget to make any big changes
but I’m doing this to try to head us in the right direction.  Without a
plan nothing happens.

One of the problems is that we have too many big pianos.  We have more
Steinway Bs than anything else and frankly they don’t fit very well in
small classrooms.  The other problem is the practice room uprights.  Our
orchestral program is important here so we have lots of string, brass and
wind players practicing in these little rooms and until they are getting
ready for a recital, they don’t need a piano.  Our Associate Director and
I had a conversation the other day about maybe using some electronic
keyboards in some of these rooms.  Have any of you any experience with
having a few keyboards as part of your inventory?

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University