[CAUT] Inventory

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Apr 6 13:06:21 PDT 2009

Colleagues:

I am going to evaluate our inventory and compare what we have with what I think we should have.  We don't have any budget to make any big changes but I'm doing this to try to head us in the right direction.  Without a plan nothing happens.

One of the problems is that we have too many big pianos.  We have more Steinway Bs than anything else and frankly they don't fit very well in small classrooms.  The other problem is the practice room uprights.  Our orchestral program is important here so we have lots of string, brass and wind players practicing in these little rooms and until they are getting ready for a recital, they don't need a piano.  Our Associate Director and I had a conversation the other day about maybe using some electronic keyboards in some of these rooms.  Have any of you any experience with having a few keyboards as part of your inventory?

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University