[CAUT] Inventory

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Apr 6 14:07:58 PDT 2009

Thanks for your observations.  Our practice room area is pretty well secured i.e. you have to swipe your ID card to get into the area.  Since that has been installed our theft is down.  Grand piano practice rooms are key locked in addition but the other rooms are open once you get into the practice area.  The main thing that prevents is the access by non-music people getting in to beat on pianos.

We have 17 Bs, 10 Ls and 9 Ms and 4 Ds.  There are also a few Baldwins, a Mason & Hamlin etc.

We have a fairly new piano lab with 12 (I think) student pianos plus the teacher’s piano & control but it’s new enough that recycling them to practice rooms might be a few years off.  Their maintenance is not part of my job.

This is all just in the “what if” stage and quite naturally may get plenty of opposition.  I appreciate hearing all the real world experience people have with keyboards.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>