[CAUT] lyre disassembly

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Apr 1 12:25:26 PDT 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 10:52 AM, McNeilTom at aol.com wrote:

> I'd like to add to that: (1) I seldom dismantle these joints
> anymore.  Instead, I use a belt clamp around the entire lyre to pull
> it back together, encouraged by a few whacks with a rubber mallet.
> This way you can get the joints as tight as they will ever get.
> Then, with the belt clamp still in place, I use thin CA to 'remake'
> the glue joint.  I've done quite a few of these over the years and
> have never seen one fail again after this treatment.

	I have tried CA a couple times on Yamaha lyres, where there is a
metal pin that makes disassembly pretty troublesome (70s, I don't know
if this is still the design), and wasn't entirely satisfied - at least
one became rickety again. But maybe it was a matter of technique, and
maybe I didn't have extra thin at the time and so didn't get deep
penetration - it's been a few years, and my memory is hazy. I'll give
it another try. I guess you do saturation at all the contacting
surfaces?
	In any case, I do think driving the dowels out is better than prying
apart, as you control which dowel(s) you are addressing. I have found
that prying can have unintended consequences in terms of loosening
what was tight and even causing splitting. Driving is faster, too, and
exerts the force precisely where it is needed, and in the right
direction. And the impact breaks the friction better than pressing.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu