[CAUT] hamburg steinway fallboard shadows

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 1 11:59:17 PDT 2009

Somewhere I saw an articulated, curved fallboard. European piano, I
think, but I can't place it. Making a fixed-lip fallboard into an
articulated one doesn't seem really that difficult. You just need a
good table saw. A thin blade might be a good idea, but check out the
"kerf" in the current S&S B and D. Tape the finish to protect it from
scratching while it goes across the table saw table. The hard part is
supporting the piece at the angle you want. I think I'd screw a board
to the bottom of the fallboard (the back when closed)--that part's
never seen, so screw holes would be irrelevant. Then you could attach
another support to that board to run across the table at the right
point.

I don't have a Hamburg fallboard handy to look at the curve, but it
seems to me that the right spot for the kerf is just above where the
curve starts, running perpendicular to the inside surface at that
point (radial to the curve, right angle to the tangent). Maybe even
where the saw blade runs through if you just lay the fallboard on the
table, decal down???

Once the cut is made, it would be fairly easy to finish, or have
finished, the cut surfaces, install those four little hinges, and two
buttons.

Mind you, this is speculative. I've not done it yet, but have seen it
done on the NY fallboards of a couple of smaller pianos.

Anyone done this?

Doug Wood
Piano Technician
School of Music