[CAUT] lyre disassembly

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 09:52:01 PDT 2009

Dear Fred, and Colleagues -

Thanks for the tip.  Good advice!

I'd like to add to that: (1) I seldom dismantle these joints anymore.
Instead, I use a belt clamp around the entire lyre to pull it back together,
encouraged by a few whacks with a rubber mallet.  This way you can get the joints as
tight as they will ever get.  Then, with the belt clamp still in place, I use
thin CA to 'remake' the glue joint.  I've done quite a few of these over the
years and have never seen one fail again after this treatment.

(2)  Sometimes it is necessary to disassemble the lyre; say, when someone has
attempted a repair already and botched it.  Then, instead of a reversed pipe
clamp to push the lyre apart, I find it easier to use a bottle jack.  It is
smooth and very powerful, but may occasionally 'unmake'  the mortise and tenon
joint at the unexpected end of the upright member.  If so, perhaps that's just
as well since that joint was probably a weak spot too.

    ~  Tom McNeil, RPT  -
Vermont Piano Restorations