[CAUT] lyre disassembly

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 13:24:36 PDT 2009

In a message dated 4/1/2009 3:26:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fssturm at unm.edu
writes:

I guess you do saturation at all the contacting surfaces?

That's right.  And sometimes I drill into the unseen part of a joint with a
very small drill to encourage penetration of the CA to a certain area.

In any case, I do think driving the dowels out is better than prying apart,
as you control which dowel(s) you are addressing. I have found that prying can
have unintended consequences in terms of loosening what was tight and even
causing splitting. Driving is faster, too, and exerts the force precisely where
it is needed, and in the right direction. And the impact breaks the friction
better than pressing.

Yes, indeed!

    ~  Tom McNeil, RPT  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations