[CAUT] The Origins of P12ths tuning.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 27 06:38:06 MST 2008

Hi Fred, others.

Just got back from the Nordic Piano Convention which had me away for a
few days. I see this general thread has continued to generate lots of
interest. Indeed, I got a very nice note from Gary himself over the
weekend and found that whilst in Danmark I was in the company of a
couple of his old friends.  Anne Garee and Bob Marinelli.  Chris Soliday
and his wife Dona were here as well. We had a very nice time of it
actually. I should say hello to one and all !

As to this business about who did what where.  To which degree there is
or isn't prior knowledge out there as to the Stopper implementation of a
Perfect 12ths tuning, has never been in question. An implementation, and
the discovery of an idea itself are two completely different matters
however. It is clear from very much reading that the idea of tuning
Perfect 12ths has been around for quite some time, and that various
people were on to a more specific implementation through the past 30
years or so. Patenting a musical comma in the general sense... well not
to put to sharp a point on it... the Pythagorean Comma Patent  ? The
point is the legal water gets muddy real quick. Such is the nature of
this kind of thing and why it is IMHO much better to avoid such waters
to begin with.

Linda makes a nice point, and a rare and delightful appearance echoing
points I think Fred had more or less expounded on quite well earlier on.
I'd like to comment on that and a couple other posts later on this
evening. Lots of nice stuff about Gary's Stuff... and surrounding
themes.  Ed raises an excellent point that runs nicely parallel I think
to Linda and Fred.  We (and by no means this generation alone) often get
wrapped up in the latest <<tuning scheme>>, impressed by it and use it
for years... only to move onto something else... loosing sight of the
fact that there is no one right way or method.  There is only how well
you succeeded in meeting your own expectations.

Cheers
RicB