[CAUT] Grand piano size

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Thu Oct 23 12:51:16 MDT 2008

It seems to be the big question is why. The actions on the S, M, L,
and O are identical except for the individual fitting details. The A
has a different number of bass notes, but it is more important that
the keys are the same length as the SMLO group. Same feel. So if the
pianos are there to work on notes and technique, as opposed to
musical interpretation, the differences are less important.

The musical palette available gets disproportionately larger with the
piano size. So if the purpose of the instruments is to develop
musical concepts, then larger pianos are MUCH better. It is much
easier to bring a fully-developed musical sense from a large piano to
a small one than vice versa. This is where having access to a well-
prepared concert grand makes a HUGE difference in the musical
development of even an accomplished player. In fact, it probably
makes disproportionately more difference for the accomplished player,
as he or she will have the technical ability to follow the piano as
it leads him/her into the larger world of piano tone.

So I would contend that, yes, the O outshines the M any day of the
week (all else equal-- rarely the case, of course). And the A will
greatly outshine the O. It is my experience that the A has nearly the
full palette available, but it is a bit like working on a miniature
screen. Full resolution, color, etc, but very small. The B is
glorious, and the D is like the 50-60" HDTV with full home theater.
The small Steinways, as nice as they are, rarely provide the full
range of musical character.

Doug

On Oct 22, 2008, at 9:58 AM, VESELY, BLAINE wrote:

> David:
> I guess I never thought of them as practice studios, but practice
> rooms.  The teaching studios I am thinking of are voice, string,
> woodwind, brass studios.  Piano studios are set with B’s.  The
> reason I ask is that a second series of cost cuts have pared down
> all teaching studios to S’s and M’s where they were O’s and A’s.  I
> think O’s outshine M’s and S’s.  Looking for additional feedback to
> shore up my argument in the face of cuts.  Blaine

Doug Wood
School of Music
University of Washington