[CAUT] P-12ths was: Tuning a Steinway D and aBosendorfer Imperial together

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Oct 18 13:38:52 MDT 2008

On Oct 17, 2008, at 8:41 PM, Kent Swafford wrote:

> I believe the stability and precision of the PureTuner display,
> particularly in the treble and high treble forced me to work on my
> hammer technique. I believe my unisons are improved because of
> PureTuner. Stopper claims that the synchronous effect of his tuning
> depends upon highly precise tunings. In other words, there appears
> to be a clear return on the effort to tune more precisely with
> PureTuner.

This is very interesting. The displays of ETDs have a great deal to do
with the ease with which one can tune with them. Jumpy lights and
displays are disconcerting and difficult to adapt to and interpret
(difficult, not impossible). I remember listening to Al Sanderson
talking on the subject, saying that people asked him to make his
display less jumpy. He said it was quite possible, through some
electronic means, but that in his opinion (and that of some of his
customers), it would be less accurate and reflect reality less. IE,
the reality is that strings produce the "jumpiness," not the machine
(they together with bridge etc produce varying pitch over time). The
machine is simply reading reality. OTOH, one does have to decide what
is the "average" or "most important" pitch the string is producing and
set that somewhere. It would be nice if the ETD display would "help a
little more," assuming it did so reliably.
	Would you please describe the way in which the TOP display behaves? I
have seen the screen shot and description http://www.piano-stopper.de/html/tunic_onlypure1.html
  and assume that what one sees is a "sliding action" until the
triangles line up/converge. I guess I sort of assume that this (the
sliding) happens fairly smoothly. That in the course of tuning, the
green/fine triangles move faster and "catch up with" the yellow/coarse
ones. Is that a fair description? Is there any waver in the display (I
would assume a "vibration back and forth")?
	I personally prefer RCT precisely because of its display interface
and its multiple components (though other factors in the program are
also important), but working with it is by no means without problem.
It can jump around and be difficult to interpret in many cases, though
I have learned to adapt in various ways. But I think that the ease of
coordination between eye and hand/arm has a lot to do with the overall
results in using an ETD. Stopper's claim regarding highly precise
tunings applies to any tuning system. Indeed (broken record that I
am), precision of unisons - within extraordinarily tight parameters -
is the absolute foundation without which most other types of
discussion of "tuning style" become nearly irrelevant.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu