[CAUT] P-12ths was: Tuning a Steinway D and aBosendorfer Imperial together

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Oct 16 16:09:40 MDT 2008

Excellent observations Kent.

There is one problem with Stoppers situation.  His mathematical
treatise  is most certainly original in every way. But the general
observance of P-12th tuning most definitely predates him.  So any claims
he makes on the rights to use a perfect 12th tuning are questionable at
best. He can however sell his machine and hold rights to the programming
behind it... and for my part more power to him.  I admire his efforts
and work in the area for what its worth.

I have had a chance to compare the Tunelab P-12th tuning I worked out
independently on one occasion with a Stopper generated P-12th tuning,
and found that the same basic tendencies are present in both.  The
P-12th priority does indeed create a character all its own.... as does
just about any stretch priority.

Cheers
RicB

    Fred, your post is thoroughly reasonable.

    I have been trying to understand Stopper for almost 2 years now.
    There are some obstacles. First there are language and cultural
    barriers. And second,
    there is the simple fact that Stopper is trying to make money from
    his discoveries; his vagueness may not be a matter of not "grasping
    the complexities" as much as they are simply wishing to keep the
    knowledge proprietary.

    But make no mistake, Stopper's credentials are solid, and in 4
    months of intensive use of PureTuner (my nickname for Tunic
    OnlyPure) I have only been able to corroborate his claims, not
    refute them.

    Kent