[CAUT] P-12ths was: Tuning a Steinway D and aBosendorfer Imperial together

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 20:41:16 MDT 2008

On Oct 17, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Fred Sturm wrote:
> 	Well, having no personal experience beyond your posted sound files,
> I defer to your judgment. And I am certainly willing to make
> allowances for cultural and other differences leading to
> misunderstanding. OTOH . . .
> 	Stopper's claims are a pretty high threshold. He claims that his
> tuning system is superior to all others. He makes no bones about
> that. Are you saying that you corroborate that? Or are you saying
> that he has created a piece of software that produces good, even
> excellent tunings on a wide range of instruments. What I have read
> so far is the latter, not the former.

The latter, except I know of nothing that would refute any of the
claims.

> 	You have said that TOP (I think that's a better nickname) tunings
> have held up to the scrutiny of your school of music/conservatory.
> The same can be said for tunings produced in a number of ways by
> each of the "big 4" ETDs as well as aurally. Are you saying that, in
> your opinion, your tunings produced using TOP are superior to your
> previous tuning?

Yes, I believe my PureTuner tunings are better than my previous tunings.

> Have you had any feedback from faculty/students/others, solicited or
> not, to confirm this?

Last school year was the first time I had had to tune the D and
B'dorf' together. I was told that the match was not great.

So far this year, no complaints.

I have told no one at the school about PureTuner. I don't solicit
opinions about my tunings, ever. Myself, I think the honeymoon effect
is real at schools and continues for a long time. That is, in order to
maintain the status quo I have to find ways to improve my work
indefinitely. Right now, PureTuner is what has helped me improve. See
below.

> 	You have said that TOP produces bass octaves sometimes wider and
> sometimes narrower than you would normally use, and essentially said
> that they were acceptable. Would you say that the result (overall,
> if you like, over the whole instrument) is superior?

I think so.

> 	You noted the way in which the tunings of the D and the Bosey
> coincided nicely, and that each was a excellent tuning on its own
> instrument. Would you also say that the tuning for each instrument
> was superior to any tuning you had done previously on that instrument?

Hmm.

I believe the stability and precision of the PureTuner display,
particularly in the treble and high treble forced me to work on my
hammer technique. I believe my unisons are improved because of
PureTuner. Stopper claims that the synchronous effect of his tuning
depends upon highly precise tunings. In other words, there appears to
be a clear return on the effort to tune more precisely with PureTuner.

Kent