[CAUT] P-12ths was: Tuning a Steinway D and aBosendorfer Imperial together

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Oct 15 14:00:07 MDT 2008

Hi Dave... I did tho perhaps I should have been a bit more clear about
it.. My point was that in not looking at what the actual difference
between the 12th root of 2 and the 19th root of three you miss the
practical results that end up differing. Ok.. a 1/3 of a bps in a 2:1
octave is not so much... but if you apply the same math to more relevant
frequency ranges and more relevant intervals you begin to see rather
larger bps rates. This all actually does translate one way or another
into beat rates we actually do hear differences in... which is why I
suppose many of us actually end up liking the 3:1 approach.  I'd say in
the end you probably end up tuning to quite a bit more close to the
<<maths>> accuracies  then perhaps you give yourself credit for.

Then the other part of how this all ends up translating into audible
(which directly implies controllable) frequency relationships is the
overall effect the whole arrangement imparts to the instrument. This
should really not surprise anyone as we constantly discuss the different
effects of octave stretches in both bass and treble. Sure... this can
all be in the end re-analyzed in terms of an octave stretch... perhaps
it might be an interesting exercise to do so.  It might shed some
clearer light on why the  range from around f5 to f6  has a generally
flatter curve in an octave priority scheme then a P-12ths scheme does
while the P-12th usually ends up at the fairly well more conservatively
stretched at the top.  Jim Coleman commented on this saying that the
result was kind of like saying the tuning seemed like it had quite a bit
more stretch then it really did.  He particularly liked that f5-f6 area.

Cheers
RicB

    Read it all.  I said the 12th root of 2.0012 was 1.059516053 (or
    essentially the same as 19th root of 3) not 2.0.  I was pointing out
    the small difference in the 12th root of 2 and the 19th root of 3.
    Differences which are mathematically significant (if you're looking
    at decimals to the 5th digit) but insignificant if you're tuning real
    pianos with real inharmonicity with contemporary tools.  The pitch
    change from start to 4 seconds later is much wider than that.  When
    in the decay cycle are you measuring this to 5 digit accuracy?

    I too am a 3:1 tuner and I like the sound I get tuning that way I just
    can't claim that kind of accuracy.

    dp