[CAUT] P-12ths Fred

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Oct 15 15:16:21 MDT 2008

Hi Fred.

There is an awful lot worth tossing back and forth from your post.  But
of course thats going to take us off on so many tangents we'll not have
time for Halloween... or something like that.  I think I see the overall
direction you are going and there are two points I'd like to take up...
as perhaps we view things a bit differently....yet in another way the
same after all.  I'll take a couple quotes I found interesting and toss
them back at you with my own take.

    "...3:1 in an absolute sense (the top note of the 12th being 3 times
    the hertz of the bottom note) doesn't  conform to the reality of
    piano strings any more than 2:1 does. In  fact, being a higher
    partial, it is "off by more."

I think, that on the one hand we can say that any stretch system suffers
from the lack of ability to <<conform>> to the reality of piano strings
just a about as much as any other stretch system does. At least from the
subjective standpoint of what any given tuner decides to select as
his/her preference.  Yet if you get a bit more specific from the get go
concerning your definition of what this reality is then perhaps one
finds an arena of a more objective nature.  If one says that the best
stretch system is that in which the greatest number of the most audible
coincidents in all intervals are most evenly spread, matched, and
sonorous (a term which also can take on an objective meaning if so
defined, and needs to be in this case) then one can indeed find both
mathematically and aurally a system which best fits that definition from
the set of available systems at any given time.  I dont really think
that definition is per sé allllll that off from what our primary
objectives are in tuning.... at least in a far more general sense

A second quote:

    "Getting back to practical, I think that if one tunes one's initial
    temperament octave (F3/F4, A3/A4, somewhere in that area) to a
    pretty standard "somewhat wide 4:2, somewhat narrow 6:3," a
    compromise  between the two, and then expands in a somewhat
    "standard" way, one  comes to the 12th at pretty close to 3:1. "

Actually... that was more or less where I was pointing when I posted my
reply to Davids root of 2 post.  I'm a long ways from sure things work
out quite like you are getting at. Essentially, if I read you right you
are saying that when folks more or less split the difference of a 6:3
and a 4:2 octave one ends up with whats inbetween... and I'll agree that
dead center of these two is the 3:1... even tho thats not directly
relevant in terms of an octave.... the resultant semitone spread is...
yes ?  But what is it that aural tuners actually do once this octave is
set ? They proceed to set the temperament inbetween and there are few
that dont end up fudging one of the A's in the end to get the circle
right... and they do so with out paying attention tooo awfully much to
their original octave spread... at least not in the sense needed for
your reasoning to work out as much as I think you want it to. Then
too... you take your finished say A3/A4 tempered octave and proceed to
tune downwards to D3...which most folks make as a compromise fitting the
D3/A3 5th to an acceptable D3/D4 octave.  I'd bet 10 dollars to one if
you measured the resultant 12th D3 / A4 that the greatest majority of
resultant tunings would be well a half a bps off a pure 3:1... and I'll
go out on a limb here a bit and predict you'd find them narrow of a pure
3:1 at that 12th.  Remember...the whole way in octave priority schemes
one is psychologically glued to the Octave as of being primary
importance... with 5ths 4ths secondary and things like evenly decreasing
beat rates for 3rds and 6ths... doubling of beat rates for 3rds that
share the same <middle>> note (I forget that term at the moment) and the
like.  One is not considering the 12th at all.

If however one DOES simply glue oneself to the P-12th... and fudge
everything inbetween to fit then it is exactly these other factors that
have to give a bit. And given our propensity for guarding acceptable
5ths and  4ths...  evenly increasing beat rates for the 3rds... then it
is the Octave itself that becomes a bit ... random if you will. As it
turns out its hardly random... they are just aligned a bit differently
because they are being steered indirectly by the 12ths being held pure.
This is at the heart of Bernhards math if I am not mistaken btw.  A
graphic repesentation of the spread of octave types of both priorites
shows clearly the difference.... and it shows up with the f5-f6 area
being a bit more stretched in the 12ths then in an octaves priorites and
less so in the highest area (for most octave priority stretches in
popular use.

Indeed, you can see this in the inharmonicity values ETD's yield for
their curves if you compare Reyburns octave type stretches to what
results if you construct manually a strict P-12th tuning in Tunelab.

One final note about a strict P-12th tuning.  Seems like I am hearing
that this is not something that would work.  I do it all the time and
since I started I have both myself enjoyed the resultant tunings more
and scored quite a bit of points among critical customers as well. I do
agree with Jim Coleman about the bass... past D2 at the most even in
small pianos.... a 3:1 is <<too>> narrow. <<Too>> being admittedly
subjective but statistically overwhelmingly agreed upon. However....
looking at that area one notices that there is a point where 3:1 types
and 6:2 types converge... just wide of pure.  And in a big enough piano
where 9:3's start to converge as well.  Finding and tuning to that
convergence yields a the nicest bass I have ever achieved. As deep a
flavour as you can achieve on any piano... because it uses the pianos
own inharmonicity in the first place, while as smooth a transition from
tight to stretched as you can get.  In my opinion going from 6:3, to 8:4
to 10:5's and then to 12:6's in some cases just muddies the pool with
too much to think about even if one is approaching these octave types
from the angle of convergence rather then trying to transition gradually
in some other fashion..  Doing the 12th type convergence act is
simpler... and works every time.

Ok... more then long enough as it is.... And perhaps much of this is
simply different ways of expressing similar thoughts... who knows.  In
anycase....

Cheers
RicB