[CAUT] Clicking notes on a B

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Tue Oct 7 12:48:18 MDT 2008

After chasing loose hammer shank joints around with boiling water
followed by fresh hot hide (applied with a brush) and/or CA glue with
less than stellar results, I've taken to just popping off the offending
hammers heads (like Ed says...with the shank/hammer assembly removed
from the rail to protect the pinning) and gluing them back on with your
favorite hammer hanging glue. If necessary, use a shank reducer to clean
up the shank, although if they were glue starved to begin with they
often pop off clean. I find this a lot, and even in the absence of
clicking I check all the heads whenever I have the action out by simply
grabbing and wiggling - the loose ones stand right out! One thing that
I've never been able to understand, though, is why I never seem to find
loose hammer heads below (roughly) the capo sections. I assume that this
might have something to do with either the bore angle or the stiffness
of the strings, but I really don't know.

- Mark Dierauf