[CAUT] Clicking notes on a B

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Tue Oct 7 10:06:29 MDT 2008

We had the Long sisters Duo (great artists, don't miss them if you
have the opportunity) here at TAMIU.  During the course of their
practice and the pre-concert tuning (done minutes before) some
clicking developed in the hammers.  I held adjacent notes down tight
to eliminate slapping of the front rail.  No joy.  I put a finger over
the damper and softened the upstop.  That did seem to make a little
difference.  I checked, the rail is in place with plenty of felt
apparent.

I've had to reglue a few dampers including one after their practice so
I'm suspecting the hammer-shank glue joint.  Would this be a candidate
for a little vinegar to reactivate the glue and tighten the joint?  Or
would it be preferable to simply remove the worst hammers, knurl the
shank and re-glue?

Andrew Anderson