[CAUT] fortepiano

Robert A. Murphy Robert.Murphy at oberlin.edu
Mon Oct 6 10:30:28 MDT 2008

Hi David et al,

I would NOT use the Schaff wire on any fortepiano as it is probably
still high-carbon steel, not iron (which is what is presently on your
instrument), and the increased tension of using steel wire on a
fortepiano can cause unnecessary damage to even a replica instrument,
while an original instrument would suffer significant damage if
entirely strung in modern wire.

Talk with Lutz at The Instrument Workshop (800-442-6038) or Steve at
Zuckermann's (888-HARPSCD (888-427-7723)).  They will know just what
you need and can send you anything from one string with a hitchpin loop
to a set of strings to a whole spool of wire suitable for your
instrument.

Enjoy,
Robert
Robert A. Murphy
Piano Technician & Curator of Fortepianos
Oberlin Conservatory of Music
cell:    517.285.3269
shop:  440.775.8275