[CAUT] Piano and concert policies

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Oct 3 08:42:09 MDT 2008

We don't have a formal written use policy of which I am aware, but I
think we have a good "culture" of control of the recital hall, so I'll
share it in case some details are of use.
	It starts with having a full time hall manager. This came about maybe
15 years ago, by adding a number of duties to the part time position.
She is also in charge of equipment inventory; various layout and
printing duties (including concert programs and various brochures);
key authorization for all keys in the building; press releases,
advertising, public relations; keeping track of attendance for the
required, non-credit, "concert music" (attendance at X number of
concerts per term, required of all music majors every semester - a
fairly big headache); a few other miscellaneous things.
	The hall manager schedules absolutely everything in the hall, and
controls the keys. When the appointment time arrives (rehearsal,
whatever), she or one of her student aides meets the person at the
door and opens it. At the end, she returns and closes up. No keys are
checked out. No keys are lent.
	Other copies of the keys are held by a very restricted number of
people, including myself, recording engineer, dept secy, dept
administrator, and a couple profs who teach sections of music
appreciation class in the hall. Period. Nobody lends keys. If someone
has a legitimate reason to go in, we go with them and open the door,
leaving it locked.
	It also helps, logistically, that the hall manager's office is the
"light booth," a room on the second floor overlooking the back of the
hall with a window: she can see what is going on when she is in her
office. There is a video cam in the hall, which feeds a monitor in the
recording engineer's room across the hallway from a side entrance, so
he can see what's going on. The hall is centrally located, with the
rest of the department surrounding it, so there are people walking by
front, sides and back all the time. And it's scheduled so solidly from
mid fall semester through the end of spring that there's no time for
any mischief to take place.
	But the "key" is the keys and how they are controlled. Especially
that no faculty have their own (other than the music appreciation
profs, and that's all they teach - they don't have applied students
they might want to do favors for).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico