[CAUT] Tuning a Steinway D and a Bosendorfer Imperial together

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 17:52:08 MDT 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> I'm afraid statements ... make me very, very skeptical and wary.

Of course. Likewise, I am sure.

> Personally, I don't believe in magic.

New technology is indistinguishable from magic, and I do believe that
new technology comes along from time to time.

Your spreadsheet construction is very interesting, but it would not,
after all of those calculations, match two pianos that differ wildly
in inharmonicity. Or, if you say it would, I await the audio files.
8^)

No one said that 19 tone to the perfect twelfth equal temperament is
new. (Although Stopper does claim to have been among the first to
publish it many years ago.) Stopper's approach to realizing the tuning
across a whole piano scale and indeed across a wide variety of
differing piano scales in such a way as to produce a characteristic
and pleasing synchronous effect, however, does appear to be new.

Kent