[CAUT] Tuning a Steinway D and a Bosendorfer Imperial together

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Oct 1 18:39:33 MDT 2008

Hi Kent,
	So you believe that Stopper's tuning is substantially different from
the 3:1 tuning achieved on Tune Lab that David Porritt describes?
	What I described wasn't a lot of calculations, it was simply a means
to create a tuning "on the fly." It actually involved very little
calculation - mostly raw measurement and simple addition and
subtraction. I frankly don't think dividing a 12th evenly into 19 is
significantly different from dividing an octave evenly into 12. Not
different at all if the octaves are equal.  I suppose you will say the
proof is in the pudding. And, though your files sounded fine to my
ear, they certainly didn't blow me away. The match between the two
pianos was quite good, certainly. Why? Well, I think that any tuning
system based on the 3rd partial will markedly reduce the differences,
for the simple reason that you are "staying within close range." 3rd
partials vary much less than higher partials. Inharmonicity is
logarithmic in nature. You could get a better match with a tuning
based on 2nd partials, and the very best based on 1st partials.
	So, fine, the VTD is good at creating acceptable tunings that will
make pianos of varying inharmonicity match. That's all to the good, if
that is a problem you face. You face it with your Bosey. I have two Ds
on my stage, so it is very rarely an issue for me. I am more
interested in a tuning that, to my ear, sets off the individual pianos
to their best effect. And I think that a tuning based on higher
partial matches (whether done electronically/mathematically or
aurally) does that better.
	Of course, all this is very subtle compared to the primacy of unisons
and stability. Which is where the art and craft of tuning really lies.
The rest is really quite variable, both stretch and temperament,
though we spend so much time and energy arguing about stretch and
temperament and trying to develop our own skills in those areas.
Ironic, no?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico