[CAUT] Tuning a Steinway D and a Bosendorfer Imperial together

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Oct 1 17:01:15 MDT 2008

Fred:

It's easier than you say if you use TuneLab.  I set mine for 3:1 12ths
all the way through.  The only difference for me is I turn the ETD off
when tuning the wrapped strings and do them aurally.  Wrapped strings
are a little less predictable and I favor smooth octaves in the bass to
anything else.  Besides that turning the ETD off for the wrapped strings
saves battery life!!

I've done 3:1 12ths for years.  It makes checking easy too.  Since I
start at F3 and tune upwards, as soon as I get to C5 I can play the 12th
below and if the display stops, I have my perfect 12th.  That's just one
of the things I like about TuneLab, you set your stretch in real numbers
like 3:1, 4:2, 8:1 etc.  Those mean more to me than a #6 stretch.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu