[CAUT] new steinways

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Wed Nov 26 07:31:04 PST 2008

John,
That would depend on the quality of service provided by your
dealership.  Steinways come virtually unplayable from the manufacturer
and the dealership is expected to prep the piano to the customer's
requirements.  Essentially the dealer's (or your) technician should go
through all the steps in the Steinway service manual with each piano,
especially for the performance instruments.  This can amount to
several days per piano depending on the condition it arrived in.

Additional work:
	Polish the capstans and keypins with Flitz if at all discolored or
any roughness/friction is detected.
	lube capstans, keypins, damper wires through the glides with Prolube
(helps protect against oxidation)
	lube key bushings, whippen heals, keyend felt (underlever contact),
jack regulation buttons, hammer knuckles with microfine teflon powder
(doesn't attract moisture or accumulate grime)
	TFL (teflon) or teflon powder the contact of keyframe with the shift
return spring and with the keybed.
	MPL lube the guides on each end of the keyframe going into the
cheakblocks
	Prolube the pedal rod guides and teflon lube their contact points.
	Establish positive (felt damped) stops for the pedals under the
keybed (big headed lag screws), especially the shift pedal
	Go through the hammers and check grams tension on the hammer flanges
(lube with cpl or repin as necessary, this has a big effect on voice)
In the hall and storage areas be very strict about maintaining a piano
friendly environment.  Steady relative humidity (40% low end, 55% high
end and preferably no more then a 5% swing) and temperature are
essential to stable tuning and regulation.  What is more, this is
essential to the long-term life of the instrument.  I have a B here
that was stored in a hallway where humidity swung from 35% to 88% RH.
There are glue joints failing throughout the action probably
throughout the piano construction as well.  Until this happened no-one
wanted to seriously consider my warnings.

After play-in more regulation will be needed as the contact points
(felt and leather) adjust to usage.  Pianos with a regular playing
schedule will need annual regulation but the time required to do it
will drop as the parts settle into their used state.

You should maintain a parts inventory onsite for your performance
instruments containing a stringset, a couple spare whippens and hammer
shanks and flanges.  This especially if you have only one model of the
given piano.  There's nothing like loosing a monochord on a D during a
pre-concert rehearsal and then finding out that there are no
replacements in-state that can get to you in time for the concert.
Same thing for broken action parts.  Steinway wasn't selling spare
parts kits last time I called so you may choose one of the other fine
makes to have emergency spares on hand for just such an occasion.  We
have couple each of Tokiwa parts to cover for broken inventory here.
I recommend Abel Encore but would have to check if they break up sets
to sell little kits like that.

Good luck with the piano investment.  Hopefully none were stillborn
from the factory.  If any are found to be problematic don't hesitate
to aggressively insist on a replacement.  The longer you wait the
greater the resistance to dealing with a problem instrument.  I know
of a D being replaced by the factory.  I know of another that they
didn't get around to addressing the issue until the short warranty was
almost over and the dealer dragged her feet, sent her technician who
obfuscated, flattered, denigrated his colleagues doing whatever it
took to slow them down.  The short warranty expired and now they
refuse to talk about the issue.  No one wants to play the D there
after he worked on it.  The B has become their instrument of choice,
clicking glue joints and all.

Andrew Anderson