[CAUT] new steinways

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Nov 26 07:15:20 PST 2008

Hi John,
	In addition to what Jon wrote, I would actually pull the stack to
check all keys: balance holes and bushings. It's a good thing to have
done. I like to lube and iron all bushings, ream and lube all balance
holes as a matter of course. (Precision reamer, 0.147", twisted back
and forth once about 90-120 degrees lightly in each hole - makes for a
clean and precise hole, consistent for every key). Your experience may
differ in NC from our dry conditions in NM, as to sizing of balance
holes - you are closer in RH to the Kluge factory. I find balance
holes on all brands tend to be too snug in new pianos. Lube the key
pins: hold the keyframe vertical and run a paintbrush with Prolube or
McLube along the part that the keybushings will contact (a couple
minutes that pays off handsomely).
	Check parts alignment. In particular, before aligning hammers to
strings, see if the whole action/keyframe is slightly shifted to the
bass end (compression of that una corda stop felt) and shim out the
block a bit if needed. Check for twisted shanks and correct (bass
hammer in particular can tend to lean in one or other direction,
causing rubbing issues until corrected). It's a good idea to go
through regulation: at the least, the capstans likely need tweaking,
and you may find things like a few blocking hammers. Not necessarily a
full regulation, just check each note for proper function.
	About the damper wires, they can tend to be set so they bear/bind too
tightly against one side of the bushing. They are intended to bear
"lightly but firmly." A very light tough on the bending pliers (bottom-
most bend) will get it to the point where "the firmness is there but
the friction is not." And if there is still a friction issue, with
action out press down the damper pedal and run a paintbrush of Prolube
along the wires just above the bushings (fast, gets them all at once).
	I like to level the strings first off. It might or might not have
been done already (they have string levels in the factory). Check
trapwork for pins working loose. I had a problem with una corda lever
pin walking out on a couple in the past few years. Maybe they have
corrected the problem. Good luck!
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico