[CAUT] CCM goes "All Steinway"

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 22 14:26:50 PST 2008

Jim~

Very excellent question, which I, also, would like to know the answer to (if
available).

As I understand, "All Steinway School" can also include the purchase of
Bostons... Perhaps Essexes, also? Hmmm?

One of Steinway's recent ads in the Music Trades Magazine, about an "All
Steinway School", makes an important distinction by referring to the pianos
purchased as "Steinway-designed pianos" rather than simply "Steinway
Pianos". So there is a little fudge factor there between that and the All
Steinway School designation, because the pianos aren't all "technically"
Steinways... ...or are they? Does it matter at all who builds the piano for
Steinway? Steinway has said it doesn't... ...theoretically they could have
anyone build the piano for them. So really, maybe ideally it should be
referred to as an "All Steinway-Designed School" -sounds kind of ominous,
doesn't it?

(I'm referring to an ad on the inside front cover of the August 2007 Music
Trades magazine, referring to the University of Alabama at Birmingham's
"recent purchase of 32 Steinway-designed pianos"...

So what's really going on here...?

Perhaps in the future Steinway may decide to drop the Boston and Essex
names, and have pianos of all different qualities under the same Steinway
name or logo, much like Yamaha and Kawai used to do...

(Maybe that's the other reason why a school really doesn't need any other
brand of piano besides Steinway. The diversity is beginning to be built
in... You also get pianos made by Kawai and Young Chang, (and whomever
Steinway decides in the future to have build their pianos...)

~Kendall