[CAUT] CCM goes "All Steinway"

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 21 18:56:25 PST 2008

Eric Wolfley wrote:
"You know Rick, I've been trying to establish a budget here for piano
replacement since I started 11 years ago with no results. The fact that
there wasn't a budget to begin with speaks volumes, and believe me there are
a couple of scenarios I would prefer over buying a whole bunch of Steinways
all at once. The reality is however, that even if we didn't buy into the
program we would still be buying a boatload of Steinways because we only had
38 of them here to start out with AND THAT'S WHAT EVERYBODY WANTS."

Eric,
Very well put.  This echoes my experience at two state flagship
universities.  In fact, my last dean pretty much said he couldn't justify a
higher maintenance budget (i.e. 2nd full time tech) unless he had all
Steinways!  (I know, go figure)  But the reality is that the faculty - the
performers - at both schools snubbed their noses at the finest Yamahas and
Bosies in the state.  They are just more comfortable with the Steinway keys
under their fingers, and I really don't think it has anything to do with
whether or not they can see the letters on the fallboard. I know the piano
majors at USC certainly complained heavily about having to practice on
Baldwin Ls and have their lessons and recitals on Steinways.  Big
transisition in tone and feel.  In the practice rooms, they preferred a
couple of 30 year old Steinway beaters to the 10 year old Baldwins.  As much
as is said about the inconsistencies of Steinways, it seems that the
consistency of Steinway is what they seem to like.

I appreciate wholeheartedly Rick's passion for diversity -- heck I'm a
competitor to Steinway now! -- but reality is reality.  It also greatly
simplifies the maintenance program.

Tanner in Caroliner