[CAUT] left to right or R to L?

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 10:29:29 PST 2008

Tom and Alan,

Yes, I read this [the Steinway stringing order] decades ago, and at the  time
figured, well, Steinway might know more than I do, so I did it  exactly that
way [alto L->R, treble L->R, tenor L->R, bass L-R].  Whatever their reasoning
was, I liked the method , and have done it that way  ever since.

Although I have strung hundreds of pianos, I still like to "warm up"  on each
one, and shorter, lighter wires are my preference. If I don't get the  length
exactly right, they're easier to replace than agraffed ones.

The downside is that my left thumb is sore from bending beckets by the time
I get to the real honkers, but I like to spread the stringing over three days
anyway, and do other stuff in between. I have tried various things like
pre-bending beckets with pliers and covering my thumb with leather, but I just
like to feel the wire directly with my thumb, and it's faster.

I'm probably going to get shot at for saying this, but I pull each string
right up to pitch as I put it on. I get more predictable results. By the time
the whole piano's done, everything is well below pitch, but the coils are
tight.  I do a first spacing of the treble strings at this point,  then chip up to
pitch twice (15 minutes or so each), using a string hook to  keep the coils
tight. At that point, I like to put the action in, do the final  action spacing,
hammer tipping, traveling, and spacing; string spacing, string  leveling, and
first letoff. Then the dampers go in and the real tunings  start.

Bob Davis

In a message dated 11/12/2008 8:38:24 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,