[CAUT] Burnt shellac

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 12 13:55:33 PST 2008

A follow-up on some postings of quite a while ago regarding burnt
shellac:

I decided that I'd just try it out. I have an old (about 8 years) can
of "Bulls Eye Seal Coat Universal Sanding Sealer 100% wax-free
formula" shellac. My wife found a nice "oven-safe" ceramic dish,
about 5" x 5" and 1/2" deep--very shallow. I poured enough to cover
the bottom nicely and lit it, as one would a Sterno can, and let it
burn out. Lovely sticky residue. A throwaway brush (e. g. Pianotek
#BR-12) to apply it , and those understring felts go right in with no
muss, no fuss. Fast. !

BTW, I am under the distinct impression that most liquid shellac has
a very short shelf-life as a finish material. This doesn't seem to be
an issue with burnt shellac as an adhesive. Makes me wonder if this
came from the "what do I do with it now that it's too old" school of
invention.

As always, I'd be grateful for any improvements to this process, or
any comments as to why I might not want to keep doing it. Seems to
work pretty well.

Doug Wood
School of Music
University of Washington