[CAUT] Practice room policy

Gerald Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Wed Nov 12 06:47:04 PST 2008

Mick,

We have a NO Food or Drink policy in all of the rooms with pianos. Of course it's a very new building and signs were put everywhere the new building.  I believe it's the mindset of the students that needs to be addressed and that IS the challenge.
We also have the Steinway "Basic Guidelines for Proper Care" signs in every practice room. I move them around from time to time to provide a different look to the room. Don't know if it helps but I figure it's like changing the display in a department store.  Anything to make it more noticeable.

We have recently had a rash of music stands (the Manhasset's) being moved from room to room. There was one put in every room at the start of the year. Since the students were the ones to begin the complaints (and also the ones causing the issue) we asked the advisor's and subsequently put the music frats, Phi Mu Alpha and Sigma Alpha Iota, in charge of patrolling and music stand control in the practice rooms.  I'll let you know how long the initiative lasts.  grin

Gerry Cousins,RPT
Musical Instrument Technical Services
West Chester University
gcousins at wcupa.edu