[CAUT] Practice room policy

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Nov 12 05:55:55 PST 2008

Hi Mick,

Same problem here.  I put signs on the pianos, but the students think it
serves well as a coaster for their drinks! :>(  I noticed at Oberlin last
summer there being a sign on every practice room and classroom $50 fine
for bringing food or drink into this room!  I don't know if UNL can do
this...Oberlin is private.  They also lock all the rooms and one has to
reserve times, get keys, etc for access.....another thing; I'm not sure if
a state owned college can do this kind of thing.  Non majors come in to
play the pianos all the time, and they're part of all of us taxpayers who
pay for them. I've thought of getting some sort of quilted covers for the
lids, but haven't looked into costs for some 25-30 practice rooms.
Probably more than I have to spend.  We have extra benches in all the
rooms, supposidly for setting stuff on them, but that really doesn't help
much either.

Good luck with the coffee wars

Paul

Mick J Johnson <johnsonmj1 at unk.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/12/2008 12:14 AM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[CAUT] Practice room policy

 Hello all. I have subscribed for some time now but this is my first post.
Here is my question:
What kind of policy do any of you have concerning food/drink on the pianos
and liability for any resulting damage? Some of our students seem to think
that the practice rooms are for their personal use and the grand pianos
are coffee tables. I cringe with every soft drink and latte I rescue from
edge of the lid. Signs on the pianos and friendly reminders have not
worked (of course). Has anyone found an effective deterrent? Damage
deposits? Key cards? Coffee sniffing guard dogs? Thanks for any input.

Mick Johnson, R.P.T.
Staff Piano Technician
University of Nebraska, Kearney
(308) 865-8119