[CAUT] Dampp-Chaser - half system installation...

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Nov 9 13:50:09 PST 2008

On Nov 8, 2008, at 6:09 PM, David Love wrote:

> I meant that only as an example.  If the climate varies enough to
> warrant both systems then by all means install both systems.  There
> are environments, however, where both are not warranted.  That was
> my point

Hi David,
	I wasn't disagreeing with you, as you were clear in talking about
"constantly dry climate." I simply like to point out (with the general
readership of the list in mind) that it is unwise to make assumptions
based on "general perception of climate." Anyone who is installing
Dampp-Chaser systems ought at least to have a reasonably accurate
hygrometer and to make consistent use of it. Unless you measure RH,
you don't know what it is. Some people go by weather statistics, which
don't tell you much about what is happening inside the house.
	BTW, my own house, which is small and fairly tight, stays above 50%
RH virtually year round, without any intervention on my part (I don't
run any humidifiers). It's over 55% at home today, and at UNM it is
15%. Cooking, showers, houseplants all contribute. I've considered
getting a dehumidifier so my windows won't sweat and mildew over the
winter. This in a supposed desert. (Where, if I didn't irrigate, not
much would be alive in my yard). I have a few customers with the same
syndrome. Others get below 10% consistently in winter through spring.
Interior RH varies a lot from house to house, and public building to
public building, all in the same climate.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu