[CAUT] Steinway school info

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon May 5 22:08:00 MDT 2008

Hi Alan

I dont see any recommendation for amount of techs per 40 pianos under
point three in the pdf file attached... Something I am missing ?

RicB

    I just went to a presentation by S&S about the program. Attached is a
    document from that presentation that defines or stipulates what it
    means to
    be an All-Steinway school.

    Of particular interest is #3. BTW, if you haven't read the S&S
    equivalent of
    the CAUT Guidelines, it is worth looking over. The version I have was
    written by Gary Green in 2005. Its recommendations for number of
    technicians
    (one full-time technician per 40 S&S, or one full-time tech per 60
    Boston/Essex) and parts inventory look to be more demanding than the
    CAUT
    Guidelines. They apparently have a spreadsheet for this purpose. No
    doubt
    this hooks into their initial inventory of your instruments.

    Another consideration is #8 wherein any rebuilding will be done at
    the S&S
    restoration center in NY. This effectively removes any
    decision-making about
    rebuilding from you, other than choosing which piano is up for
    rebuilding.

    By becoming an All-Steinway School (I was about to use an acronym but
    decided against it. :-] ) you are accepting the brand, being branded
    as it
    were, and must live up to their expectations. They want to protect their
    name, and you, as an All-Steinway School, are representing their
    name, same
    as a dealer.

    It's a choice. It may be a good one for the school and students. But
    it is
    not without its trade-offs.

    FWIW,

    Alan