[CAUT] Steinway school info (Steinway tech...)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon May 5 21:56:04 MDT 2008

Hi Jim

You touch on one of the more unfortunate aspects of our trade.... how to
identify who is qualified or not to adequately serve as responsible tech
for a large pool of  valuable inventory.  At least Steinway is making an
attempt... and it is in their interests of course to see that these
instruments are taken care of reasonably well. The PTG struggles with
the same kind of problem really in its testing for RPTs... the whole
certification program.

My experience with the Steinway seminars / masterclasses... whatever you
choose to call them is that the initial ones are as much for Steinway to
get an idea of the techs abilities as it is too teach them anything.
People who show they know a good deal about what they are doing get
invited back for more, those who dont usually dont get invited back.
Same goes for the Yamaha technical schools in Hamatsu. They go so far as
to tell you at the end of your stay whether or not you will be invited
back for the next level.

To what any personal politics get involved in such issues.... well IME
life is far more full of that kind of stuff then it should be... in
every human endeavour. I cant see any real difference in our industry
relative to others.  There will always be a certain degree of <<its not
what you know but who you know>>. Sucks... but .... well... evidently
thats part of humanity too.

Cheers
RicB

    Alan, List,

    At "Snow College", an All Steinway School in Utah, they thought my
    bid for servicing was too high, so they were going to get a local
    hack. (My opinion) I told the Steinway dealer and he called NY.
    Steinway then threatened to revoke the A.S. School status and void
    all the warrantees unless a suitable "Steinway Technician" did the
    work. (At least that's what I was told.) I got the job at the price
    I asked.

    What is a "Steinway Technician"? It seems it's whoever the
    dealership and/or Steinway say it is. (I'm still not really sure.)
    At the time I had two of the Steinway Academy classes so they chose
    me over the other guy.

    What I was told later is that a technician should at least have the
    1st "Comprehensive Class" in New York or Oberlin, along with the OK
    of the instructor and the S&S dealer.

    Jim Busby