[CAUT] Steinway school info

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon May 5 21:59:43 MDT 2008

At Oberlin... they made no bones about using outside restorers when they
wanted too.  These schools have some power too you know. An all Steinway
School has usually a fairly large inventory representing a very large
source of income for S&S.  In the end, Steinway has to from a strategic
point of view have a very good reason for pulling all Steinway School
certification.  There is always a degree of give and take.

Cheers
RicB

    Hey Fred,

    You may be right about the interpretation. However, in the S&S
    Guidelines
    doc, page 3 there is a paragraph that states that "...piano restoration
    beyond re-stringing should be contracted with S&S Restoration
    Center..." "It
    will also insure Steinway authenticity."

    Of course I don't know how rigid they are with this, but the
    impression I
    get is that to protect their brand, they would want a lot of input
    in any
    decision of rebuilding.

    I dunno how it actually works in reality.

    Alan