[CAUT] Steinway school info

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Mon May 5 18:39:06 MDT 2008

 Hey All,

Does this mean that if one were to use non-Steinway-factory parts on a piano or modify it, it could undergo status migration away from counting towards the number of authentic Steinways??? This would apply most especially to hammers and bass strings, but would include all action parts, cloths & felts, changing a cantilevered bridge, rescaling, converting to vertical hitch pins, and so on.? Oh, yea: Soundboards and pinblocks, too (both design and materials).? There is also the issue about whose craftsmanship is better, the S&S restoration center or a given CAUT.? One of the things I value most about my CAUT position is the opportunity to make pianos better than when they were new.? This list has been an invaluable guide to what others have found successful in this regard.? In the words of the NRA, to take this liberty away from me, you would have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Alan Eder

P. S. Their pianos-to-FTE tech ratio and performance-level standard of regular maintenance are very admirable.